Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Thoughts on "Night" by Elie Wiesel

The graphic detailed accounts of Elie Wiesel's journey into "hell on earth" has given me much to think about....I am riveted by the magnitude and sheer hatred that held millions hostage without mercy and without much hope for rescue. Hitler and the Nazi nation embodied all that is inhumane & evil. As Elie told about the arduous ordeal of so many families being torn apart & transported in train cars to "death camps"...where the stench of burning flesh permeated the air, and visions so morbid would assault the senses...it is all too much to wrap my head around! As I sat reading the first 47 pages of the book, I was drawn into the world of this young teen, as if I were watching a movie. This forced me to be transported into his reality if only for a brief moment in time, making the details of his life all the more powerful and emotionally evocative. The events that are recounted in this book make me ill, full of sadness and very frustrated that nobody could stop the mass murdering, at it's inception. Even though it is utterly painful to read about these horrific events, I am compelled to read on, so that perhaps I can find some solace at the end of the book...searching for vindication and redemption for a culture of people who never deserved the atrocities so violently thrust upon them.

2 comments:

L I S A said...

Well written my friend. I am having trouble finding the words...the attrocities are so immense that I find it almost cannot be spoken of. We are certainly blessed to have not been a part of it.

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts are very interesting. It's great that your thoughts are your own